On 31st December 2020, it’s likely that the UK will be leaving the EU with no deal.

Whilst this doesn't change the cover provided by our insurance policies, it is likely there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about Green Cards to help you and your customers to prepare for a ‘no-deal’ Brexit:

1. What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that proves your customer is insured to drive in the EU. They're issued and signed by the vehicle insurer and include the vehicle and registration details. Customers need to have one with them if they’re driving in Europe and they need a second one if they’re towing a trailer or caravan. 

2. What countries will require a Green Card?
A Green Card will be required for driving any UK-registered vehicle in the European Economic Area (EEA) and some other countries (Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland). A list of EEA countries is available here.

3. What happens if my customers don’t have a Green Card?
If your customer doesn’t have the required Green Card, they could be breaking the law, be refused entry into the European country, receive a fine and/or have their vehicle seized.

4. How do I request a Green Card for my customers?
We are currently working on an automated process for issuing Green Cards. In the meantime, we have introduced a simple and straightforward method for requesting a Green Card for your customers, which can be found here.

5. How much is a Green Card?
We do not charge a fee to brokers for the issuing of Green Cards. 

6. Do customers need a Green Card to travel to the Republic of Ireland?
Although the details have not been finalised, it is expected that a Green Card will be required to travel to the Republic of Ireland. Further information, as it is updated, can be found here.  

7. How do I change the details on a Green Card?
If the details are incorrect on a Green Card that we have issued, please get in touch via greencards@firstuw.com or call us on 0333 305 8110. 

8. If my customer plans to tow a trailer or caravan, will it need a separate Green Card?
Yes, if a customer is planning to tow a trailer or a caravan, they will need to request a second Green Card from their car insurer. 

9. Does it need to be printed on greenpaper?
No. Your customers must have a printed Green Card with them when travelling in the EU but it doesn't have to be on green paper. This means they can print it themselves in black and white, and double-sided.

10. What happens if the policy is due for renewal whilst the policyholder is away?
The Green Card will only be valid until the renewal date. If renewal is confirmed before the Green Card is issued, then cover will be extended for the full period of travel. 

11. The motor certificate currently documents European cover on the back page. Does the policyholder still need a Green Card?
Yes, current advice is that a Green Card will need to be carried along with the motor certificate from 1st January 2021. 

12. Where can I find more information on the Government’s guidance for travel post Brexit?
More information about travel in the EU from 1st Jan 2021, can be found on the Government website.